Saturday, February 19, 2022

Hog Cay, Ragged Islands, Bahamas

 Another busy day!  

I wanted biscuits and gravy....but of course my oven is broken so I looked up "stove top biscuits" on Google.  Easy peasy.  Just "fry" them on low heat for about 20 minutes.

 

They turned out absolutely lovely.

 

No real difference between baked and fried.  Maybe just a little crispier crust.

 

Straightening up the cockpit, I found this little hermit crab on my sandal.  He must have hitch-hiked on the dinghy when we brought all the firewood.

 

Mid-morning we left the washing machine going and picked up Donna and headed to shore (Jerry was already there at the cruiser hut).

Much work was underway - getting ready for the Valentine's party tomorrow.

 

Jerry taking some wood to the firewood pile.

 

Then we sorted through and organized the amazing amount of "stuff" donated by the cruisers for the Ragged Island school benefit auction after lunch tomorrow.

 

Most of the men made quick work of raising and supporting several sun shades off the hut.  Here they are burying a anchor/guy-wire system to hold the support posts upright.  Duane is pouring seawater in the hole to help compact the sand around the anchor.

 

This is the huge netting going up. It's fairly thin (so easy to erect) but blocks an amazing amount of the harsh sunlight.

 

Duane climbed the ladder to attach one end of the screen to the hut.

 

They tied the screen to the peak of the hut.

 

Final result is a good bit of shade for the crowd tomorrow.

 

Back at the boat, I wanted to make brownies to contribute to the meal tomorrow.  But, as you know from my past whining....no oven.   So, again, I looked up "stove top brownies" on Google.  The solution involves steaming the brownies.  I don't have a steamer insert for my pans on board so I substituted a pile of 3 saucers.  

Placed the raw batter in a pan and placed on top of the saucers.  I covered the baking dish with aluminum foil.  Then brought the water to a boil.  The cooking time is 90 minutes!!  So I had to replenish the water fairly often to keep it steaming.

 

Worked like a charm but 90 minutes is a long time! 

 

The result was some incredibly moist brownies.  Not sure I'll bother with this again but nice that I've got something to take tomorrow.


We were back ashore later in the evening doing a bit more sorting and organizing.  Before sundown, we stopped by Meshugga to say hello and were invited aboard for a drink.....which ended up being an impromptu dinner invite.  Fun evening with delicious stew over brown rice.  Back to the boat with full bellies!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey K,
    ...it certainly looks like you're mastering the stovetop baking...your biscuits and cake look yummy...and party prep is always fun....
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete