Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Oriental, NC

I had a surprise in the mailbox!  Richard had sent me a birthday gift.  He is apparently making bread and he shared a little "care package" with us.    It's a wonderful "Spicy" loaf according to the label he enclosed.   Ingredients were jalapenos, garlic, olives and paprika.  Also included were bottles of Italian olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 



We had some as a snack at lunchtime then again at dinner over on What If.  Everyone agreed that the bread was fantastic and unique.



Still extremely dreary here.....by Saturday we're supposed to clear out and have a very pleasant week. 

Finally got a package in the mail that allows me to start my next project!


I'd ordered this cloth 3 weeks ago - and it's just now arrived.


I'll back up and tell you the plan - I'm planning on making a quilt for our berth.  Right now, we just use a light fleece blanket.  When it's really cold, we have a heavy queen size quilt that I believe was on the Fountaine Pajot when we bought it.  But, it's solid color and not very interesting, actually sortof ugly.


I got the idea from a Facebook post on the private "Sewing On Boats" group.  Someone was discussing a website that posted about making table napkins using the patterns of the nautical alphabet. 

Here's a photo from the website -   (Purl Soho if you're interested)






She made individual 1' square napkins of each of the 26 letters.  Wow, that's a lot of napkins!!

Anyway, I wanted to use the idea to make a quilt that would be better fitted to our berth. 

I reached out to my sweet sissy-in-law-expert-quilter Sharon for some advice.   She has a great program on her computer that helps design quilts.  She spent a good bit of time one afternoon inputing the parameters for the quilt and sent me a fabulous document telling me exactly what size to cut each piece.  She even told me exactly how much of each color cloth to buy. 

Here's the pattern from her program.



And here is one of the squares detailed instructions for cutting.  (The "A")

I'm pleased with the feel of the cloth I got from eQuilter.com.  Amazingly it's 100% cotton fabric that's made in the USA!  Imagine that.

So I'll get busy for these next few rainy days and see how I progress!






1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a neat bread...the Man would probably like to try it...send the recipe...and your quilt looks absolutly AMAZING!...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete