Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Enroute to USA, approaching Staniel Cay, Bahamas

The plan hatched with What If the night before was to get underway at 5AM so that we could get to Clarence Town, Long Island around noon to top off with diesel. Passed a mail boat - so we know supplies are still moving in the Bahamas!   Kindof a yucky sea-state but good wind for sailing!




Some of you may have seen this photo on Facebook - I was talking to Keith on the phone and he asked what I was doing.  I said that I was laying here sailing - and this is the photo Duane snapped of me so I could share it with Keith.   Pretty comfy captain's seat!!  (Other boats often have a single molded captain's chair - we really like our "double" seat!)




But all did not go as planned - we found out that the Clarence Town marina (Flying Fish if you're interested) was closed and not selling fuel.  Disappointing but we just decided to continue sailing thru the night and head to the Exumas - Staniel Cay is reportedly still selling fuel.  

I wasn't really prepared for an overnight - so we just had leftover fish-taco salad for dinner.  Our normal 3 hour shifts, although Duane did end up letting me sleep over 4 hours to make his shift midnight to 4:30AM.  That was sweet of him and I really enjoyed it!!



Pretty sunrise - What If is back there somewhere a mile or so away. 


Unfortunately, I had to wake Duane at 7AM briefly to help me move the jib over (it had a "keeper" attached  that needed to be removed - and we don't go on deck when one person is sleeping for safety reasons.)  But he's back sleeping now and we're about 2 hours from Staniel Cay.  Will fuel up and head north towards Highbourne Cay for a jump off to the Florida coast.  Looks like we'll end up checking in at Ft. Pierce or Daytona - the winds are going to be honking offshore of the Carolinas by mid-week (next week) so we won't likely be able to sail straight for Beaufort like we'd hoped.  

No worries - What If will keep us company and we'll both stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. Hey K,
    ...love the lounge-y photo of you...I'm sure Duane was cheerful about helping...he always is...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete