Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Little Ragged Cut, Ragged Islands, Bahamas

 The day started a little shaky - I awoke at about 4:30AM to lightning flashes.   So I got up and closed all the hatches and zipped up the roll-up cockpit enclosure.  I pulled up the radar and watched for an hour as the winds built and a storm cell approached.  I watched on the GPS to make sure our anchor was holding - this anchorage has excellent sand so I wasn't too terribly worried - but you never know what a large thunderstorm can throw at you!  Here's the radar image as the storm approached - we're the red star.


But shortly after that image was taken, the storm flew over us and all was well.  The boat got a nice fresh-water wash.

The sunrise that followed was spectacular!!


The forecast was for a brief period of calm winds during the morning with the wind building later in the afternoon.  So, we went out for a snorkel - unfortunately, the clouds were lingering so the lighting was not great.

 

We hit the tides just right - we were in the middle of the cut on the ocean side with no current.  The dives were fairly deep though.

 

Duane is improving his endurance free diving.

 

A Mr. Blacktip shark decided to pay us a visit.....luckily he didn't get too close.



The reward today was a very nice lobster.  This photo doesn't really do it justice as the huge tail is curled inwards.

 Back at the boat I measured him - the body was almost 2 feet long.  (My scales weren't working...but I estimate between 4-5 lbs)

 

 

Here the tail is on a large Correlle dinner plate for comparison.  He will be great eating - but into the freezer he went because I have other plans tonight.

 

As we got back from snorkeling - Meshugga arrived from Hog Cay bringing the boat total here to 4.  A nice number, not too crowded and glad to have them back.

I told everyone in the anchorage that I'd bring in some sushi to our sundown gathering.  So I got busy with that!  The usual drill.  Ingredients prepped.

 

 

First, I steamed the lobster's antennae and picked out the meat.  I made one roll with the cooked lobster in case someone doesn't like raw fish.

 

And here's a setup for a raw tuna roll.  (We'd caught the tuna the the spring last year - it was vacuum packed and perfect, of course!)

 

All rolled up and into the fridge for a few hours to firm up before slicing.

Finished product a few hours later.

 

Set up to share for happy hour - with peanut sauce, pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.  All the boats brought treats to share although I forgot to take a photo of the full table....

Enjoyed the sunset and the company....after the sun was completely gone, the wind was cool and we all retired to our boats.  Great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment