Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Oriental, NC

My sis made homemade pizza recently following the "Italian Grandma" video.  It's a hoot - long but fun to watch!  This video has an amazing 3+ million views!  She's a rock star!


She makes her own sauce....I wimped out and just bought a jar of pre-made pizza sauce.  But I did use her method to make the dough and it turned out great!

She uses A WHOLE 5 POUND BAG OF FLOUR!!!  No, I did not.  Here's what I ended up doing:

Pizza Dough

5 cups all purpose flour
2 cups warm water
1 heaping teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten


I just mixed the water with the dry ingredients until about the consistency on her video - very sticky!!  Kneaded it a bit but nowhere near as much as I knead bread.    Let it rise twice.


Gathered all my supplies.



The key to spreading the tender dough on the cookie sheet is Crisco.  She details that you need to grease the pan with Crisco - not oil so that the dough doesn't "shrink back".  She's absolutely right - it worked beautifully!





I made a couple of different "pies".



Turned out lovely!  A wonderful soft and chewy crust.



And I even used her method of cutting the pizza since I don't have a pizza cutter on board.  Worked wonderful!  Will definitely do this again!  (And I think the store-bought sauce was fine, very tasty).




1 comment:

  1. YUM...glad you tried it...we had fun with it too...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete