Monday, June 29, 2020

Oriental, NC


I've been meaning to take the dinghy chaps off and do some adjustments.  After the winter in the Bahamas, things had stretched here and there.  This is at the bow - originally this seemed to fit tightly but water while we're motoring must have stretched it.  In any case, the fit is just not right so I made some marks with a magic pen that disappears by applying water.  I'll use these marks to place a new naugahyde panel.



Same goes for this panel - the vinyl placard is just not in the exact correct spot so the handles are not as exposed as they should be.  Really not a big deal but I wanted them fixed.



So I got the chaps untied - no small feat!



Got to work with the seam ripper to remove the old patch.


Cut out a new, larger patch.



And then got to work sewing it on.  The new "Monster Wheel" on my sewing machine was a dream to work with.    I also re-sewed several of the main seams on the chaps while I had them off just to add some security for the next season.  The chaps are by definition out in the full sun and it takes a toll on the thread.


 The "after" photo.  Much better, not perfect.  But glad that chore is done!



In order to get the chaps fitted correctly, we had to drop the dinghy, deflate it a bit, then Duane tightened the attachment string with a huge amount of force to keep it tight.  Then we decided we'd go for a dinghy ride.

Stopped by our neighbors dock and chatted (at a safe distance) with  Rick and Susan for a few minutes.  




And Ed joined us for a nice ride out in the little canals.  He's breaking in the new motor on their dinghy.



Back to the boats - calm and very warm day!


 My turn to make dinner - I made the standard 1 Hour Breadsticks.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the mix of sugar/cinnamon quite right and they turned out less than spectacular.  But the regular breadsticks were a hit.



1 comment: