We had to set the alarm clock because it's disembarkation day....we had to vacate our stateroom by 9am. But they served breakfast so we had one more meal aboard. Last goodbyes to several of the fellow passengers that made the trip even more enjoyable. Grey day along the Amsterdam waterfront. We did finally see a sailboat just as we walked past the Viking riverboat. First sailboat of any nature we've seen this trip!
Our Airbnb was about a mile away so decided to just walk pulling our suitcases. The buildings were very different from what we've seen so far. Very modern.
Walking towards the central train station.
The other side of the train station, quite different!
Walking on towards the Airbnb, a mix of old and new.
Our Airbnb is a hoot! Its a basement apartment right on a canal. It's the entire basement of the owner's townhouse. They live above. The place is huge and shows all the old arched passages.
Very cool setup but feels a little medieval!
Just outside the apartment.
We walked to the Newmarket (nieumarkt) square for a quick lunch.
And wandered around a bit.
Saw some pot growing in a store window....I know, I'm easily amused.
We toured the Amsterdam Royal Palace....it's still in use today with furnishings from around 1800. The palace was built in the 1600's as a city hall but waschanged to the royal residence around 1800.
They provided a great audio tour so we could understand a lot about the sculptures and different rooms. Very posh!
I know, lots of photos...but it really was pretty impressive.
I saw the New Church (nieuwe kerk from the 1400's) leaving the palace....
But it's now a museum with a hefty entry fee. I snapped a photo at the toll booths and left...
Another similar setup as we walked back to the apartment. Beautiful canals
After an afternoon nap, we headed back out for a light supper. Did I mention there are a lot of bikes?
On our way back to the apartment, we walked by the famous "red light district "....we aren't allowed to take photos of the "workers".....but this was one of the streets adjacent. We did see a few ladies in little window displays just like you would imagine. Its a strange world!
Enjoy the Amsterdam canals and scenery. Hope the flight home is good. I don't think I would enjoy the basement accommodations, bit of a trapped feeling.
ReplyDelete