Saturday, April 25, 2020

Installing Sailrite Monster Wheel on a Rex 607Z machine

This post is for my sewing friends....so skip if you're not interested!

I have a Rex 607Z sewing machine - which works great for most things including tough canvas.  It's got a quasi-walking foot and really does a better job on heavy fabric than my heavy duty Singer.    At $350, it's quite a bit less expensive than Sailrite's base machine, like less than half!  (The machines appear to be made from the same basic structure and parts, the Sailrite having a bit more "polish").

But, I do have a couple of beefs with the machine.  The most important complaint is that the clutch slips often when sewing multiple layers of marine Sunbrella.  It goes thru 4 layers easily.  6 layers often is a problem.   This is because the machine comes with a tiny fly wheel.

The other problem is that the machine is just too fast!!  No matter how slowly I depress the foot pedal, the machine screams to life.


There is a solution to both these problems!

It's a Sailrite Monster II Wheel.

I won't bore you with actual installation photos - you can always watch Sailrite's videos.  The videos are very good and installation goes exactly as they picture it.

Basic Monster Wheel Install Video

I chose to install the set screws for more power.  This means the needle would be engaged while I wind bobbins, so I'll just wind my bobbins on my other machine.

 Monster Wheel Install for Friction Clutch machine



There is one problem that you have to address - the belt cover guard has to be removed to install the Monster Wheel.  This leaves the belts exposed.  It would probably be OK to leave it exposed, but just for safety I thought we should find a way to put it back. 



Actually, for $26 you can buy a new guard from Sailrite.

The one on the left is identical to the one on the Rex with the small fly wheel.  The one on the right is for machines with a larger fly wheel (either the plastic one or the Monster Wheel).  See the difference?




We decided that we could easily modify the one we have at zero cost though.    Duane just used a pair of heavy tin snips and cut it to fit.




 Reinstalled and properly guarded now!


This cost $125 and I definitely recommend it.  I believe my Rex now operates with similar power to the Sailrite brand for $475 vs  over $1000 for a similar setup from Sailrite.   Lots of wine or boat parts to be bought with the difference!


I'm extremely pleased with this.  The machine is much slower, much easier to control.  And hugely more powerful!

1 comment:

  1. Hey K,
    ...that's an amazing machine...made more amazing...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete