Saturday, August 26, 2023

Oriental, NC

 Getting back into the swing of projects!

Over at Jerry and Donna's workshop.....

 First of all, I want to tell you that I absolutely LOVE their machine and setup!!!  So much easier to use than my bulky machine in the confines of the boat.....you can't see it in this photo but there is also a table to the left and behind the seated operator that fully supports the bulky item as it feeds thru the machine.


I may not have discussed the purpose of this project.  The clear vinyl is about 5 years old and has been exposed to the sun for every one of those days.  As a result, it has lost some of it's "clearness".  It is slightly discolored but the biggest problem is that it has developed a slight "waviness" for lack of a better word - and it slightly distorts your vision thru it.  Anyhooo, I don't like it so I'm replacing it!

There are two really large panels at the front of the cockpit.  I am using "leftover" vinyl from the side panel project a year ago.  Unfortunately, none of the leftover pieces is large enough....so I am going to piece it together.  The sheets cost $250 each so I'm literally saving $500 just by making this one change.

Here's the old panel. (The blue soft blanket is to prevent scratching the vinyl).

 

Making some preliminary cuts.

 

The two rough cut pieces.

 

The two pieces sewn together.  We measured the position for this seam on the boat.  While sitting in the cockpit at the helm, there is a 2" roof support pipe that is always in your line of sight.  This seam will be virtually invisible from the helm chair because of that pipe.

 

Fabric sewn over the seam to give it a finished look.

 

Next was the tedious task of using a seam ripper to completely remove the old vinyl.  I was careful not to tug on the Sunbrella "frame" because I don't want to distort it.  Once I had the old vinyl separate I traced the outline onto the protective paper that wrapped the vinyl for shipping. 

 

 Then I used the tracing to cut out the final shape of the vinyl.


 

 

 Carefully inserted the vinyl into the Sunbrella frame.  There was leftover very sticky basting tape that held the vinyl in place quite well.  Ready carefully sew around the perimeter 2X. 


All done!  It still fit nicely and I'm pleased with the placement of the extra seam for the $$ saved.  I can see clearly now - very happy.


Hopefully we'll get another 5 years out of this enclosure.  I expect by then the Sunbrella will fail and I'll be looking at a new install....one down and one to go for now.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great and WOW what a workshop. Say hello to Jerry and Donna for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a workshop!! And good job Karen on another successful project. It looks super.

    ReplyDelete