Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Hendersonville/Mills River

Back to the mountains...my Mom planned a nice July 4th celebration.  This time of year has lots to celebrate.  My sis's and Duane's birthdays plus my brother & sis-in-law's anniversary.  So Mom suggested I make a couple of cakes to surprise them.   I got out all the ingredients.   

I made one layer with the regular recipe and I vegan-ized one layer using vinegar and some baking soda as substitute for the egg. 

I used Mom's old-fashioned icing tool for the very amateur decorations....

 

The vegan on sort of "fell" a little in the middle but they were both delicious and surprising for the recipients!


 


 

And there was gardening, of course in the morning before the party.

Big bro Eddie and sis-in-law Trudi working hard too in the corner that Keith & Denise "loan" them every year!

 

 

  My mom with her small rototiller in her little plot. 



 

Denise is over there somewhere in the lush garden weeding.

 

On to pool time in the afternoon.

 

Vegan tofu and veggies from the garden on the grill before the "normal" meats.

 

But Teresa and I both got an Impossible burger grilled.  Delicious!

 

Fun meal with WAAAAYYY too much food!  The rain held off until we were mostly finished but the umbrellas really kept us dry anyway.  Much needed rain for the garden anyway so everyone was happy.

My sis being silly in the pool as "Alfalfa"....

 

Good ending to the party with the great-grandkids shooting off some fireworks.


 And later all the old farts ended up at Keith and Denise's for hot tub drinks and fireside chatting.  Nice day and a good break for Duane. (thanks again Carolyn!)






1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun family event. Belated Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete