Monday, July 26, 2021

Oriental, NC

 Our cockpit seat cushions need some attention.  For the past couple of years, they've been deteriorating.  When I washed them, I could see little particles of the interior foam sifting thru the outer mesh.  So, the foam was breaking down due to age.  (They are 7 years old).

You can see that the cushion is deformed and flat and not very cushion-y.   The exterior Phifertex mesh material is in great shape though.

 

When I unzipped the cushion I was amazed at the condition of the foam!!  Yuck.  (The cushion is designed with the soft foam on top and a harder black foam on bottom for structure.  The black harder base foam is like new).

 

So I set about taking all 4 cushions apart and discarding the powdery soft foam.

 

Then I turned the cushion covers inside-out and used a water hose to jettison all the powdery mess from the seams.  It took over an hour to spray wash all the powder away as it was embedded in all the seams and zippers. 

 

Nice and clean now.  Ready for new soft foam.  I ordered a full sheet of 2" Dry Fast foam.  This foam allows water to pass right thru, not retaining the water like a normal sponge would.

 

Traced the piping from the covers with a Sharpie marker.

 

Using a electric knife, cutting the foam using  a straight edge.  We cut it 1/2" large on all sides so it would "fill up" the covers.

 

Repeated for all the cushions.


 Luckily, Duane was there with muscle to stuff the cushions back inside the covers.  No small feat.  



 

I am tickled with the results.   So cushy!!  (And no more powdery mess!)  Should be good for several years.




 



1 comment:

  1. Hey K,
    ...oh my...what a mess that was...it sure looks perfect now though...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete