Sunday, June 14, 2015

A different dinghy

I have lost my camera.   Sigh. 

It's not that it's a fancy camera, it just has some photos left on the memory chip that I want!!    Oh well, I'll do the best I can with the photos I have.

Remember the cute little dinghy we got when we bought the boat (that I was pretty pleased with)?



Well, our first real use was on our trip to Ocracoke a couple of weeks ago.....as you can see, the bottom seams came unglued.  Not surprising, just disappointing.  It's fixable - but a real pain.  And the glue is finicky from what I read. 



So, we decided to get a much better dinghy.  After researching we decided on a fiberglass bottom AB brand dinghy.  We tested an AB aluminum bottom dinghy - but it didn't sit correctly in our davit system. 

We were all set to fork out $$$ to purchase a new one when we happened to see a used one in Richmond, VA on Craigslist.   It had been on a trailer in the fellow's back yard, covered for years.  He had bought it new to play around with his kids but said it was rarely used.    The best part was that it was substantially less $$!

So, we trucked up to Richmond (4 hours!) and we were the proud owners of a lightly used 9.5 AB dinghy!

It was dirty and dingy from years of dis-use.  The photos I had were of that cleanup process.  Oh well - you'll just have to know that a gallon of bleach and elbow grease made it a pretty nice looking dinghy!

Oh, and when you get a much larger dinghy....you have to get a much larger motor!  It's Christmas!



All set up on the davits - we've taken it for a test ride out in the rivers near Oriental - a lot of fun with this one.  It gets up "on plane" so you can really scoot along at a nice clip!








1 comment: