Saturday, June 12, 2021

Pittsboro, NC

 Finally, a post that is slightly sailing related....

Our sheets for our berth on the boat were worn out.  I've got two sets - they're standard queen size.  They're all-cotton, high thread count Better Homes and Garden brand and very soft.  But they didn't wear well.  Just 6 months and one of the bottom sheets has thin spots and small tears.  Maybe something about the fact that we're slightly salty sometimes affected the wear.  Anyway.  Time for a new set.

At the local Target, I found this deal - looks like really nice sheets - 600 thread count and all cotton.  On clearance, my luck.  Really nice heavy "hotel" sheets. 

 

I do need to back up a bit - I promise it will all make sense.

 Two of my favorite shirts - (both given to me by Miranda and Richard) have unfortunately gotten bleach spots on them.  This one was a gift to tell us that they were engaged.

And this one they found at the Variety store in Ocracoke many years ago.  Both are well worn but I hated the bleach spots.
 

So I decided that the solution was to bleach out the color and add back color....

 

 

Even though one little drop of bleach will leave a white spot, it takes a huge amount of bleach to actually bleach out all the color.  I used my last 1/2 gallon on these shirts.  This one was stubborn but I figured it would be enough.

 

 

And now I'll tie the two stories together.  I figured if I was going to mix up a batch of dye, I should kill two birds....

White sheets are just too "clean" looking for the boat.  I wanted a bit of color - so I treated the sheets with soda ash (to help set the dye) and tied them up with string for tie-dying.

 

The fitted sheet.

 

 

Four pillow cases.  (yes, isn't that cool that it comes with extra? I guess that's what you get with a sheet set that was originally $70!)

 

And the top sheet.

 

I'm using a standard Rit liquid dye this time which requires hot water.  So I put every large pan I own to boil.

 

Out to the yard - all the items in the (clean) mop bucket full of hot dye.

 

Stirred and let set for 1 hour.

 

Back into the kitchen for rinsing.  I then bathed everything in white vinegar to also help in setting the dye.

 

So - a partial fail.  They shirts turned out a lovely color....but the dye seemed to enhance a stain at the armpits.  

 

These shirts are many years old, so not surprising that they are stained - but you couldn't really see it before.  So - I will tie-dye these shirts with a swirl pattern to hide the stain and get back to you.

 

But I'm really happy with the sheets.  Spread out loosely on the guest bed.  Just the right amount of random color.  They'll be lovely on the boat.





1 comment: