Friday, September 25, 2020

Pittsboro, NC

 Dick invited me up to pick some grapes - they've got more than they need.  So nice of them!  Muscadines and Scuppernongs.  (I looked up the spelling - I didn't realize there were two "n's" in Scuppernong! Also not sure which is which and the internet is not really clear!)


 I got right to work - I need some jelly for the winter!


 

Cooked the grapes and ran the pulp through my food mill to remove the seeds and skins.  Strained the pulp thru cheesecloth - rendered a lovely clear pink juice that I forgot to photograph.


 

Heated the juice to a boil - very foamy!  Added a package of fruit pectin to make sure I end up with jelly and not syrup like I have in the past!



I managed to get most of the foam off the top - ladled into sterilized jars, sealed and processed in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

 

Happy with the results - a very tart and tangy jelly.  11half pints and a little extra for toast tomorrow morning!



 

2 comments:

  1. Hey K,

    That looks delicious...and I've had your jam before..it's always good...how is the tea on the counter...is it fruity...like lichee...

    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The tea is wonderful and fragrant. I believe it was a gift that one of Duane's Chinese colleagues gave him years ago. (They always brought him a small gift when visiting as is their custom). It was vacuum sealed and was perfect when I opened it. Love, K

    ReplyDelete