Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Making custom fitted sheet

Our berth, like most on boats, is not a standard size.  It's not even rectangular!  My process for making the bed involves using a queen size flat sheet and wrestling with it to tuck under all the excess sheet material.

I decided it was time to make a custom fit sheet!

With the sheet on the bed, I just went around the perimeter and used straight pins to mark the pattern.


I cut the excess material away - 8" from the edge.



Then I made a large dart at each of the 4 corners.




Then I just hemmed the entire edge....and sewed about 2' of elastic (stretched) to each of the corners.



And that's about it!  A fitted sheet for a odd shaped boat mattress!



And here it is in place.  I'm pretty pleased with the results!






1 comment: