Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Pittsboro, NC

 I had a wonderful birthday!!  There was a package from my sweet sis on the doorstep.  A pretty "wave" themed cutting board and a hand (knit/crocheted/I don't know which) dishrag to replace one that is worn out and threadbare. 

 

Diane walked down to give me a birthday card and we investigated the progress of the amaryllis blooms.   Some almost there.
 

 

And one in full bloom.



And after retrieving the mail, I had a nice assortment of lovely birthday cards including the one that my sis and I exchange back-and-forth each year.


I was out on the deck, chatting on the phone with my sis when I spied this large black snake. 

 

So, while still chatting I went downstairs to get a closer look.  He didn't seem happy to see me - coiled up like he was ready to strike - even "rattled" his tail a bit in the leaves, I guess impersonating a rattlesnake?

 

After snapping the photo, I let him be....and he proceeded straight up the oak tree.  Fascinating to watch.


In the afternoon, since the weather is just beautiful we went for a nice hike at the White Pines nature preserve near the house.  The white pines there are unusual for this area - the climate is  normally too hot for them, but the cool shady north facing ravine allows them to grow.

The trails are easy and well marked.  I think these signs have been installed since the last time we'd walked here.


 


 

Saw another black snake!!  It was shady and cool - maybe it was looking for warmth?


Up and down modest hills.

 

A nice smell in the air - a tulip poplar blossom.

 

And at the bottom of the ravine - the Haw River.

 

Some rhododendron - also not a normal flatland plant, in the cool shady north facing hill.

 

And another small black snake!


We walked 3.5 miles at a pretty good clip.  Then back to the house for a quick cleanup before joining Dick and Lindy for a nice evening.  Was a nice birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Hey K,
    ...I'm glad you had a nice birthday...crazy that you saw THREE snakes in one day though...
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete