This is the 40 year old ficus tree that has followed us around since my IBM days.
I'm not entirely sure of the date, but I believe it dates back to 1986 or 1987. I know I was pregnant with Robert by 1988 and I'm positive it was before that (since I'd lost interest in IBM by then, haha).
The ficus was a gift that my sweet sissie had it delivered to my office as congratulations when I was promoted to Staff Engineer at IBM in Research Triangle Park. Getting promoted was one of those "goals" back in the day as a youngster. This particular promotion was important because you were moved into your own private 10x12' office space with woodgrain furniture! This was about the same timeframe that Tim Cook was 2 offices away from mine although he was 2 levels above me in management.
The ficus was a small little "tabletop" green shrub at the time and was happy in a corner of my office for some time. I'm sure I brought it home when I left on leave of absence after Robert was born.
Of course, it has grown and grown in the ensuing years. It's been used as our "Christmas tree" many times over the years. I've put it outside on the deck during some summers. I've almost killed it several times with a late spring frost. Yet it hangs on. At this point, it's just too big and bulky. I can't move it around easily and I'm sure it's rootbound and needs a new bigger pot.
So I've decided to scale it back - about a month ago I took some clippings and set them in some water to see if they would sprout roots.
And they did! Very nicely.
I treated some fresh dirt with Miracle Grow and planted the sprouts. We'll see if we end up with a viable "tree" in the end. If so, I may donate the "mother tree" to someone else! Any takers?




No comments:
Post a Comment