Friday, February 8, 2019

Hog Cay, Ragged Island, Bahamas

Last night at the campfire we were commenting about the fabulous homemade bread that Karen and Jerry from Persephone had brought to the Cruiser's Party.  They graciously offered to give us a "bread making lesson" today.

So Leslie and I dinghied over to their boat with flour in hand.  They supplied all the other ingredients, so nice of them!

Their lovely boat Persephone - a beautiful  Hallberg Rassy I believe.




 Karen helping us aboard.



We got right to "work".  They are excellent instructors!  We each made one loaf.  Learned a few things.  I don't have a thermometer on board - they use a digital one to measure the temp of the milk.  I've been using water for my recipe and I've had it a bit too warm.



Also learned that I'm adding too much flour when kneading and (according to Jerry) I'm kneading with too much "aggression"!





Kneading for 10 minutes total. 







And before we knew it, we had three lovely balls of dough.  This was alot of fun!  Cruisers are so helpful!






Back to our boats for the rising, punching down, resting, final rise and baking.  Here the loaf is ready to go in the oven.









Perfect!! 



And this is THE BEST BREAD EVER!  Seriously good.  Many thanks to Karen and Jerry for a great morning lesson.  I'll include the recipe at the bottom of the post.




And after some more boat chores in the afternoon, we went ashore for the nightly cruiser get-together. 

Karen from Persephone, Chris (don't know the boat name) and John from Sam the Skull played for us - what a great treat!  I'll upload a short video when we have stronger internet.
















1 comment:

  1. ...hey K,
    ...that looks like a lot of fun...I don't see the recipe though...and I want it...the bread looks delicious!
    Love,
    T

    ReplyDelete